Skip to main content

DC and NY Vist

This month started off with a visit to DC and then to NY to see daugher #1 and her hubby.

The first stop was DC where hubby had a meeting and I was left to entertain myself.  The visit was very short as we got there Wednesday afternoon and I only had Thursday morning to explore.

While hubby was in a dinner meeting, I got to have dinner with one of my favorites...



It will probably be my last dinner with this wonderful woman as she will be headed to Baltimore and John Hopkins for a master's degree in Nursing.

Thursday was spent wandering around the area.  I did a little bit of shopping and ended up at the Ford Theater.  It was a wonderful museum to visit.  Since there weren't as many tourists this time of year we were able to go and actually look into the box seats that Lincoln and his wife were in.  The tour also included the Peterson house where President Lincoln died.





We headed to NY on the bus.  I was a little apprehensive about this, but hubby reserved seats for us on the top level of a megabus.  The view was spectacular!  We got front seat views to the fall foliage!



It was wonderful to see these two again!



While they worked on Friday, hubby and I wandered to our (well my) favorite spots.  A trip to the fashion district was a must.  Despite the fact that I announced that I didn't need any more fabric... I couldn't resist!!  Not enough room in the suitcase...."no problem, we can ship!"  I'll post pictures when those arrive!



We wandered up Broadway past Times Square and into Columbus Circle and Central Park.  We found a wonderful museum that had a display of "Soldier Quilts". The pictures do not do the exhibit justice!!

The workmanship was just exquisite.


The vist was short but it was so nice to spend some time with them.  Thank goodness Christmas is just around the corner!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here we are again...

As I started my blog adventures again, I decided to spend a few posts reflecting on life during the hieght of the pandemic.  But now, after a few months of various vaccines being available, and a few months of mask mandates being lifted and the hope of life returning to normal.... mask mandates are now coming into effect again.  There is a surge in variants of COVID, especially the "Delta variant".  There are increases in those testing postive and increases in those being hospitalized.  At this time only 45% of Kansans and 50% of the US population are vaccinated.  We are a long ways from herd immunity people!! On Friday K-State issued the mask mandate again just as employees are heading back to campus today. USD383 issued a mask mandate for everyone and as far as I can tell when kids return in the fall: I just feel like we are going backwards instead of forwards. Most of those that are being hospitalized are those who are not vaccinated and many of them ar...

Patchwork Blocks

I have never participated in a block of the month (BOM) before.  But when Sherri McConnell of A Quilting Life blog created her 2017 Block of Month, I decided I would participate. I wanted to do a project that would make use of the fabric in my stash.  I had been collecting batiks for the past few years and have been waiting for a pattern to incorporate them.  After the first two blocks were done I was sold! I love how the blocks started out.    And finally this last week I was able to catch up.  I am a little worried as I running out of my background fabric and I can't seem to find anymore of it.  I am hoping I will have enough to finish the last two blocks.  I'll worry about fabric for finishing later.   The block patterns are wonderful as you can use the left over triangle pieces from the flying geese for half triangle pieces in other blocks.    Sherri gave us one extra quilt block that can be used if we...

Sewing interruptions

Sometimes the sewing needs to get put aside for real life.  This is one of those times. My husband and I have lately been maniacs about our house remodel.  Early this year, what started out to be painting walls ended up in a total remodel of our upstairs... New doors, bathroom sinks, new bathroom floor, kitchen countertops, stained cupboards, kitchen tile etc etc It took us 7 months.  I thought we would take a break.  He wanted to redo the landscape in the front.   So out can 25 yr old bushes, a basketball goal etc etc I thought we would take a break.  Now we are repainting our house...in July...when the heat index is 110!! The mister clearly needs to leave town and quickly...  please someone call a water conference ASAP!!!