Skip to main content

What happened to December, January, February and most of March??

For awhile there I was doing really well and then... Well stuff happens.  The other day I was trying to figure out some way to organize all of my projects etc and I looked online for all sorts of products etc.  and then I realized I did start a blog and this is where I was supposed to do all of that!!

So here we go again.   First of all the biggest news I have is that I have a new sewing machine!!!  Yup hubby finally said go get one...well he's been wanting for me to get one for quite awhile but I just didn't feel like I needed a new one.   But the Bernina company was having a zero financing promotion and we found a promo machine on sale in Omaha!!  (Just don't ask me how much...let's just say I can never, ever, ever ask for anything again!!)


And boy has she been fun!  The BSR foot is everything that they say it is. Quilting was so much easier, I just had to remember to slow it down a little. And the bigger throat plate is just wonderful for quilting!!

The BERNINA Stitch Regulator (BSR)

 I made my first baby quilt on the 790 and the BSR was wonderful for quilting!   There are so many cool little things like, snipping the thread when you get done, back stitching when you start.  The bigger bobbin has it's upside and downside.  It's great to have more bobbin thread when you are quilting but for things like sewing garments it's almost too much thread.


The dual feed is fabulous.   I was able to sew a knit garment and it was just as good if not better than the walking foot! In class I was told the difference between the two is that dual feed is for 2 layers of fabric where a walking foot is for 3 or more (such as a sandwiched quilt).


I haven't played with the embroidery as much but with what I have done, it is so so much better than my 185.  One of the features that I love is that I don't have to disengage the embroidery module to sew.  And that can save a lot of time when I am doing burp cloths!

I made my first quilt with it.  It was a design that I had been kicking around.  When someone asked if I would do a plane, car, train quilt, I jumped on it.   This was so much fun and I a pretty pleased with how it turned out.    



On my way to Omaha for one of my Bernina classes I found a wonderful quilt store in Beatrice Nebraska where I found some really great backing for this quilt.  I also found another great little quilt store called the Quilted Moose in Gretna Nebraska, close to the Nebraska Outlet Malls.  Who wouldn't chose a quilt store over a mall?  They had some wonderful flannel pieces that I was able to use for this quilt.

Unfortunately the woman who had ordered the custom piece didn't realize it was made of flannel.  Since they lived in Florida she thought it would be too hot.  So I refunded her the money for the quilt (not the shipping) and now this little gem is in the Etsy store ready for a new home!  The customer was so very sweet and even left a wonderful review on my site.

Don't worry the 185 found a new home.  It is happily with daughter #2 and she is loving all the features that the Bernina has to offer. 

Well that is it for now.  I have all sorts of things left to blog about so hopefully I'll be able to add more posts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Shelf Retirement Quilt

Another woman is retiring from the library.  Mary has been a large part of the library quilting group and has been involved in so many retirement quilts for others.  So many of the original library quilting group have retired and she was basically one of the last ones left.  Three of us from the library along with three others who work on campus or are retired librarians decided to work on a quilt for her.  And now that it is her turn and we wanted to make her something really nice.We know she wanted a book shelf quilt and we used this pattern to make her one: Everyone used the same background fabric and we used our stash to make the bookends.  When I put them together, the scrappiness of all the bookends gave the quilt such a wonderful look.  The sashing in between the blocks was used to have colleagues sign and leave messages of farewell and good luck for Mary.  I made three of the blocks for this quilt.  The first block in on the second row and has a the purple books and the

Another Quilt Retreat

It's been a busy March so far and it all started with a Spring Quilt Retreat with my favorite "Crazy Eights"! We tried a different venue for our quilt retreat and I would say we hit a home run with Sew Cozy Quilt Lodge .  The place sleeps 10 with five bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths.  Each "themed" bedroom has a twin bed...and I say "themed" because the decor in each bedroom is just cute as can be.  The best part about the place is the quilt/sewing room!  Each person has 2 two tables and a design wall!! We had seven of our members present for this retreat and there was so much beauty being created! The "LOVE" squares were my work.  For the first day I decided I would tackle a UFO which really wasn't a quilting project.  I had an old rocking chair that needed a new slipcover.  I have had the fabric for several months.  I didn't have much motivation to work on the slipcover.  I order to go on the retreat I told myself I had to work on

It's the weekend!

It's the weekend and my head is just spinning with all the things that I want to get done! Do I work on the first block of Leah Day's Machine  Quilting Block Party?                                                                             Do I keep the same color combinations or do I make it scrappy and try to use scraps from my stash? Or do I just buy a bunch of the same fabric and make all the blocks the same?  So many choices and so many decisions!!     I also have 2 orders on my Etsy site which need to get started.  My goal for the store this year was to try to get at list one quilt order a month and so far I am there.  The next one will look just like the last one I did but she does not want buttons used for the eyes and nostrils: I also want to work on my Style Arc Estelle Jacket. I bought these ponte knit from Joann's.  I made both colors for my oldest daughter and they just fit the pattern style so well.  I went back and bought more ya