Skip to main content

It's StyleArc Season: Ivy Knit Top

I have been collecting StyleArc patterns like crazy.  So I have decided that this year  I am going to dedicate myself to using all of those patterns that I have collected.  The wonderful thing about StyleArc is that they are easy patterns, but so stylish at the same time.  I seem to be at point in my life where I really like "easy to where" items.   I've had this StyleArc Ivy pattern in my stash for quite awhile:

Ivy Knit Top

I decided to use this reversible knit fabric that I found at JoAnn's:


I love how one side has polka dots and the other stripes.  I knew this would be perfect for this top as I wouldn't have to find other fabric for contrast.  Once I cut out the pieces I had to decide how I wanted the contrast to work, so I laid out the pattern pieces and played until I found something I liked.  So easy to do with this fabric, all you had to do was just flip it over to the other side!  However once you started sewing you had to remember which you chose for as the front and which was the back.  


This sewed up really quickly.  Style Arc is know to have minimal details so their instructions wouldn't be the best for a beginning sewer.  All of this was done on my serger with the exception of stitching down the bias for the neckline and the hemming  A very quick and easy sew.

And here the side view  on Mimi:


And the front view on Mimi:


I have found that pattern drawings are not always indicative of the true drape of the item.  This top is much looser at the hemline than the pattern drawing indicates.  I also have a hard time judging what size to sew, especially when things are oversized and have lots of room.  I  think the next time I make this I will go down one size. 

Size: 12, but I think I will go down one size next time I make it.

Fabric: Reversible knit - black and white stripes on once side, white polka dots on the other.  I used the stripes for the front and sleeves and the polka dots for the back, the neck binding and the arm cuffs.

Design Changes: None at this time

Construction Notes:  As with most things I like my neck binding a little tighter so it doesn't "flop"  I might cut an 1" or an 1.5" off the next time.  I did add a small strip of fusible knit to the hem (3/4"), folded it up 3/4" and then used a double needle to sew the hem.  I find that using the fusible knit helps stabilize the hem and avoids the "tunneling" effect that you sometimes see with double needles on knit fabrics.

Will I make this again:  Most definitely!  This was an easy pattern and will be a good staple for weekend and casual wear.  It was a nice quick sew and got it done from start to finish in one evening!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Shelf Retirement Quilt

Another woman is retiring from the library.  Mary has been a large part of the library quilting group and has been involved in so many retirement quilts for others.  So many of the original library quilting group have retired and she was basically one of the last ones left.  Three of us from the library along with three others who work on campus or are retired librarians decided to work on a quilt for her.  And now that it is her turn and we wanted to make her something really nice.We know she wanted a book shelf quilt and we used this pattern to make her one: Everyone used the same background fabric and we used our stash to make the bookends.  When I put them together, the scrappiness of all the bookends gave the quilt such a wonderful look.  The sashing in between the blocks was used to have colleagues sign and leave messages of farewell and good luck for Mary.  I made three of the blocks for this quilt.  The first block in on the second row and has a the purple books and the

Another Quilt Retreat

It's been a busy March so far and it all started with a Spring Quilt Retreat with my favorite "Crazy Eights"! We tried a different venue for our quilt retreat and I would say we hit a home run with Sew Cozy Quilt Lodge .  The place sleeps 10 with five bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths.  Each "themed" bedroom has a twin bed...and I say "themed" because the decor in each bedroom is just cute as can be.  The best part about the place is the quilt/sewing room!  Each person has 2 two tables and a design wall!! We had seven of our members present for this retreat and there was so much beauty being created! The "LOVE" squares were my work.  For the first day I decided I would tackle a UFO which really wasn't a quilting project.  I had an old rocking chair that needed a new slipcover.  I have had the fabric for several months.  I didn't have much motivation to work on the slipcover.  I order to go on the retreat I told myself I had to work on

It's the weekend!

It's the weekend and my head is just spinning with all the things that I want to get done! Do I work on the first block of Leah Day's Machine  Quilting Block Party?                                                                             Do I keep the same color combinations or do I make it scrappy and try to use scraps from my stash? Or do I just buy a bunch of the same fabric and make all the blocks the same?  So many choices and so many decisions!!     I also have 2 orders on my Etsy site which need to get started.  My goal for the store this year was to try to get at list one quilt order a month and so far I am there.  The next one will look just like the last one I did but she does not want buttons used for the eyes and nostrils: I also want to work on my Style Arc Estelle Jacket. I bought these ponte knit from Joann's.  I made both colors for my oldest daughter and they just fit the pattern style so well.  I went back and bought more ya